Login

TOPIC: Multiple Guilds

Multiple Guilds 11 months 6 hours ago #17648

• jacksin125
  • Thank you received: 1
I have seen this idea in a few other games, and personally loved it, for a few reasons. The idea is simple: Allow the player to have multiple guilds. The player would then set one of those guilds as their main one. Their main guilds would be the one they could access the inventory of, and other stuff like that. However, the player would be able to change their main guild at will. I'll give you a few examples of when this idea would help:

1. Most of the time, By the time a player becomes a werewolf, they're already in a guild. This means that even if a guild for werewolves was created (I mean, Eric did say werewolves were supposed to work together), most werewolves would probably not be in it. Not only that, but with the ability to change your skills so easily, playing as a werewolf only all the time would probably get boring fast. With this system, when you wanted to play as a werewolf, you could set your main guild to the werewolf guild you're in, and play with a ton of other werewolves. When you are done playing as a werewolf, you can switch your main guild back to the guild you usually play with.

2. Right now if you join a bad guild, you'll generally stick with it because a) you found a few friends, and/or b) you're afraid of not being able to find a better one, and then never being allowed back into your old guild, and/or c) You've never been in another guild, so you don't realize that yours is bad. If you were allowed to be in multiple guilds, you would be able to try out other guilds and find which one is best for you, without having to leave your current one.

3. Let's say you happen to be a part of a gaming group, but joined PG on your own. You found a good guild, made some new friends, and enjoy being a part of it. So you tell your gaming group about PG, and a bunch of them want to join. However, they want to create their own guild, and you don't want to leave your current one. If you're allowed to join multiple guilds, np. If you can only have one guild, gl.

4. Allowing people to have multiple guilds would actually seriously encourage the growth and creation of new guilds. Right now, joining a new guild means you're stuck with that guild's small inventory and limited ability to do guild quests. This means that most people will probably not want to create or join a new guild when they can join an already big and powerful one, which already has all the benefits unlocked, and a ton of other people to do the lion's share of the work in guild quests. If people could join multiple guilds, then there wouldn't be as much of a loss, so people would be more willing to do it.

I would imagine the guilds would be account-wide. I would also imagine that people would be able to have probably 5 guilds (1 main guild, 1-2 side guilds (like a gaming group guild), 2-3 special guilds (like a werewolves or druids or animals only guild). However, those parts would probably depend upon the vision for the game (So far, it seems everything is character-specific, so the guilds might not be made account-wide). Even if my idea doesn't make it into the final game, I hope it is seriously considered!
You must log in to post or reply.

Multiple Guilds 11 months 2 hours ago #17653

• nems
  • Thank you received: 3
Interesting idea. I'm not sure how I feel about multiple guilds but I do agree with all of your points about the trouble of leaving/joining new guilds.

I'd propose a simpler thing/smaller step in the meantime to encourage more cooperation between guilds (since the game is so small right now -- alpha): "Allegiances/Federations/Leagues" so that guilds can share an extra chat channel and maybe an extra message board? (so the guildmasters would be the ones to link up not individual members) Possibly give it more purpose/functionality in the future if that's a desired thing, but for now at least a grouped up chat channel. I know we have Global but that won't always be feasible as the game grows and people are always hesitant to post there. Since the pop. is so small this could allow more people to get in on dungeon runs/mants/etc and pool resources/ideas more.
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by nems.

Multiple Guilds 10 months 4 weeks ago #17659

• Greyfyn
  • Thank you received: 22
In an alpha game with the small population of active players, guilds are a bit of a distraction. Yes, you can have guild vaults and a separate guild chat channel, but you can get guild storage as a rich solo player as well. And anyone can set up a chat channel. If Global is not working as a means of communication, then start another channel and invite people. It doesn't have to be a traditional guild set-up to work.

Guilds are great, don't get me wrong. It's just that with the extended time frame of alpha, people come and go so fast, or spend relatively small amounts of time playing, that guild stability will remain an issue. Making friends across the whole server is far more efficient if you want to have friends who are still around next month. The probability is just greater!

Elder Scrolls Online had the concept of 5 guilds per account. Guilds tended to specialize like you suggest, mostly into pvp, rp, trade and general guilds. Like in that game, you would basically have five guild channels to monitor, the standard chat channels and whatever other created chat channels you join. I don't think that adds much more than confusion.

Rather than try to open up guild possibilities, perhaps it would be better as a community how we would like the community to be structured. Are there questions we can ask about how we can create situations where people are really happy to come on game and stick around? Is making friends a factor in that? Some guilds create situations where that happens, but often you'll find your friends are in a different guild.

Overall I prefer groups that use voice communications. Lots of people have joined the Gorgon's Head public discord: discord.gg/6psRuMC, but very few of us are using the voice chat features yet. Multiple guilds are represented; the chat provides another way to connect with people and stay in touch. This is an open channel for all Gorgon players and with enough people around, good things can happen.
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by Greyfyn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auth

Multiple Guilds 10 months 4 weeks ago #17681

• jacksin125
If you feel that it would cause confusion, then I'd imagine the chat could be set up so that you only see chat from and/or talk in your active guild. However, in games with a decent chat system, I have actually found having multiple guilds to be more interesting, and not confusing at all. As for the Discord, you're saying you dislike an idea for adding something in game, then recommending a third party application as a replacement for something that could be done in game? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd find alt-tabbing every 30 seconds to 5 minutes in order to check a third party application far more distracting than seeing a few more chats in game. As for the ingame chat channel creating, having a chat channel for werewolves doesn't seem nearly as interesting as having a guild for werewolves. That's what it seems like to me, at least.

Multiple Guilds 10 months 4 weeks ago #17710

• Dyansha
The idea is nice, but it feels extremely premature to me. The existing population is too low, the means to publicize guilds in game too few to reach much audience for specialized guilds. And the chat UI should be much more friendly before we tackle even more channels that we're prone to miss or where we will mis-tell things.

Dunno, maybe one day :)
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by Dyansha.

Multiple Guilds 10 months 4 weeks ago #17713

• Khaylara
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149
Greyfyn wrote:
Overall I prefer groups that use voice communications. Lots of people have joined the Gorgon's Head public discord: discord.gg/6psRuMC, but very few of us are using the voice chat features yet. Multiple guilds are represented; the chat provides another way to connect with people and stay in touch. This is an open channel for all Gorgon players and with enough people around, good things can happen.

Mildly off topic but that. Grey graciously helped me setup my sound for voice channel but nobody's actually using it so it was pointless. I'm not saying hang out there and talk smack all day but for grouping purposes it should be encouraged. I know that aussies skype while grouping (not sure if all the time) but why is no1 using the discord voice chat? It would be so useful at least for the group leader to give instructions as opposed to Niph explaining to me what he means by early tag in the middle of a pull :lol:

ON topic - don't know how i feel about multiple guilds, i have 2 chars in 2 different guilds and it's fine, it's not like we have wars between guilds or we take guilds very srsly here. Maybe when we reach a higher population alliances could be a thing but in a game w/o pvp there's not that much point to them.
*you eat what you kill* (Riddick booming voice)
Last Edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by Khaylara.

Multiple Guilds 10 months 3 weeks ago #17720

• jacksin125
Yeah, doing it right now with our current low pop might not be the best idea, but I feel like it'd be a nice thing to have in the long run. That way you wouldn't have to play 2 different chars to be in 2 different guilds, which I would prefer not to do.

Screenshots